Thursday, February 21, 2013

The First Steps: Week 1


Ever since I was five I have loved to draw. The first thing I loved to draw was the cartoon character that portrayed Lizzie McGuire in Lizzie McGuire. I had a poster of it in my room and I would always look at the picture and just draw. Then when I was seven I went to Disney World for the first time. In Hollywood Studios we went to the Disney Animation Studios, where my family and I sat through a class where we learned how to draw Goofy. That was the moment I fell in love with drawing. That day I bought a how to draw book to learn how to draw Disney characters and my collection has grown ever since.
       In the past I have tried to do paint-by-numbers but I have never had the patience for them, having to go number by number finding every spot for a certain color. This drove me away from paints and I have only really done drawing. Now I have the chance to take the time to learn how to use paints, but specifically acrylic pants.        
        After doing some research, I have found two books that will teach me how to paint skin tones, and basic techniques. There are also two websites, where artists post information about different techniques, and about how to use acrylic paints.  My friend’s mom, Beth Adelsberger, is a professional artist and I have taken classes with her before. She knows how to use different mediums, and will be able to teach me how to use acrylic paints.       
       For the first two weeks I am going to read books and websites about acrylic painting, and practice the different techniques, while also sketching my final product. Then for the following two weeks I am going to outline my project. For the final weeks, and including the third and fourth weeks I am going to work on my final product.        
       My goal for this project is to be able to effectively use acrylic painting techniques. In order to do this I am going to recreate a famous painting, American Gothic by Grant Wood. With this painting I will be able to learn how to paint people, nature, and architecture. Repainting American Gothic will set a goal for myself instead of having to come up with something on my own. If that were the case then I would not be able to plan out what I am going to do as well, and I won’t have specific expectations for myself. While I am painting, I am going to record the process. At the end of the project I am going to fast-forward through the process, and make a 30 second to 1 minute clip. This will show my progression throughout the process, and how I came to my final product.       
       I have just found a book called Acrylic 1 by Ken Goldman, which teaches basic techniques for painting with acrylics. There is also a website I have found called artistnetwork.com where artists can post articles and videos that teach students, like me how to use different mediums like acrylics. 

Goldman, Ken, and Ken Goldman. Acrylic/1: Learn the Basics of Acrylic Painting. Laguna Hills, CA: Walter Foster Pub., 2003. Print.

"Artist's Network." Artists Network. F+W Media, Inc., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2013.


1 comment:

  1. Donna I really like your idea of recreating the famous painting "The American Gothic" with the faces of Perlman and McDaniels! Also, you seem very passionate about drawing, and I enjoyed reading about how your childhood shaped our passion for drawing. Good luck with the rest of the project! I'm sure it will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete